Cristina Pomales, Ph.D.
Received her B.A. degree in Psychology from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, and an M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Industrial and Operations Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Her current research interests relate to studying human-computer interaction and the design of Web-based learning environments to understand how to improve student performance and retention. Other topics that interest her are Engineering Aesthetics, Distance Learning, Engineering Education, Educational Technology and Occupational Safety.
- Active in the following areas
- Human Computer Interaction
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Service Industries
- Work Measurement
- Experience in the following areas
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Cognitive Ergonomics
- Engineering Psychology
- Design of Experiments
- Interested in the following areas
- Technology integration in mfg
- Banking & Finance
- Organizational Design
- Technology Management
- Works in Print
- Refereed Journal Articles
- Pomales-Garcia,C., Liu, Y. and Lopez, A.D (2010) Design Dimensions and Attributes for Web-Based Distance Learning Modules, to appear in the American Journal of Distance Education, 24(1).
- Pomales-Garcia, C., and Liu, Y. Excellence in Engineering Education: Views of Undergraduate Engineering Students, Journal of Engineering Education, 96 (3), 253-262, 2007.
- Pomales-Garcia, C., and Liu, Y. Web-Based Distance Learning Technology: Effects of Instructor Video on Information Recall and Aesthetic Ratings. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 3 (3), 2006. Available electronically at: http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Mar_06/article04.htm
- Pomales-Garcia, C., and Liu, Y. Web-Based Distance Learning Technology: Interface Design Variables and their Effects. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 3 (5), 2006. Available electronically at: http://www.itdl.org/Journal/May_06/article02.htm
- Santos, D., Marrero, E., López, V., González, F., y Pomales, C. (2001). Necesidades, uso y satisfacción con los servicios de consejería profesional: Lo que revela una muestra de estudiantes del RUM. Revista Profesional Asociación Puertorriqueña de Consejería Profesional 17 (1): 18-25.
- Pomales-Garcia, C., and Liu, Y. Web-Based Distance Learning Technology: The Impacts of Web Module Length and Format. The American Journal of Distance Education, 20 (3), 163-179, 2006.
- Refereed Conference Articles (in proceedings, transactions, ...)
- Pomales-García, C. and Perez-Canals, M.J. (2011) Could Cutting Boards Help Students Understand IE Core Concepts?: A Pilot Study. Proceedings of the 41st International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering, 745-750, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Castro-Sitiriche, M., O’Neill-Carrillo, E., Papadopoulos, C., Pomales-García, C. Santiago-Román, A. and Seguel, J. (2010) Work in Progress - Leveraging Accreditation Activities to Foster Innovation in Engineering Education. FIE 2010 Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Pomales-García, C., Liu, Y., and Lopez, A.D.(2009). Student perceptions on the importance of Distance Learning Module Design Dimensions. FIE 2009 Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Pomales-García, C., Rivera-Nivar, M., and Chamoun, D.(2009). Best Practices and aasessment process for an engineering course through videoconference. IIE, IERC, Industrial Engineering Annual Conference, Miami, USA.
- O'Neill-Carrillo,E., Irizarry-Rivera,A., Pomales-García, C., and Contreras, E.(2009).Integrative Graduate Program in Sustainable Electric Energy Systems,IEEE Power and Energy Society Annual Conference
- Jimenez, M., Nieves, A., Pomales, C., Santiago, N., Vega, J.F., and López, V. (2007). An Analysis of Behavior Patterns in Generation Y Engineering Students and their Implications in the Teaching-Learning Process. 114th American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Pomales-Garcia, C., Liu, Y., and Soto, V. (2006). Excellence in Engineering Education and Educational Technology: Views of Undergraduate Engineering Students. 113th American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Pomales-Garcia, C., and Liu, Y., (2006). Educational Technology and Web-Based Distance Learning: Views of Undergraduate Engineering Students. International Conference on Engineering Education, July, San Juan, PR
- Pomales-Garcia, C., Liu, Y., and Méndez, D. (2005). Web-based distance learning technology: Does appearance matter? Proceedings of the 49th Annual Conference of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
- Grants and Contracts
- Funded External Grants and Contracts
- NSF ($499,956)
Can gaming provide enough context to improve
knowledge integration and retention in engineering freshmen? Developing a
computer game for industrial engineering (2011)
- Funded External Teaching Grants
- General Motors Corporation ($6,000)
Human Factors Laboratory Equipment Proposal ()